C64 Packet carts

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Tue Aug 29 20:35:57 CDT 2006

You need the license, to start with. Then a 2-meter (144-148 MHz) radio.
It's much easier if there's a data jack on it, like most mobile radios have
now a days. Packet radio only requires a few watts output, so a mobile
radio set on low power is more than enough. Then you need a TNC, a terminal
node controller, which is a modem for radio. The KPC-3 by Kantronics is by
far the most popular, though the KPC-3+ is better. Either should set you
back less than $100, maybe much less.

The TNC is setup and talked to over a serial link from... anything that
speaks serial. The TNC itself runs a BBS for messages, and you use the
device connected to the serial port for K-K stuff (keyboard to keyboard).
K-K is now known as instant messaging by another crowd.

Getting the license is trivial. You can download the current question pool
(with answers) from hundreds of places. Search for "technician exam
question pool" and find one that has the 2006 question pool. Better yet,
run down to Radio Shack and buy a copy of "Now You're Talking" which
explains the questions, the answers, and why each one is right (or wrong.)
With pictures, yet.

No morse code required.

73 de N9QQB

At 04:42 PM 8/28/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mon, August 28, 2006 3:27 pm, William Donzelli wrote:
> > As for Ebay - I tried selling some packet stuff over the past few
> > months, and buyers were not much around.
> >
> > --
> > Will
>
>What a coincidence - this morning I started looking into what I'd need to get
>into packet radio.  There's a couple of hams here who'll help me out, I have
>no license, equipment, or anything (except computers).  What packet stuff do
>you have available ? (reply via email, as I suspect this is OT)
>
>On-topic, though, is that I wanted to use some of my vintage computing gear to
>do packet radio (too bad I missed those c64 carts - that'd be a hoot!).  I was
>trying to think of what to do with an old machine that would be productive,
>and packet radio popped in my head.  I have an old Sun 3/80 or a Sparcstation
>10 I could set up.  Is there any packet software for old 68k macs (I have a
>clean mac II that's begging to be used for something).
>
>jdavis

[Environment] It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's
the impurities in our air and water that are doing it. --Dan Quayle
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)  WEB ADDRESS http//www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531