Role of OS in filesystem (was "File types")

Michael B. Brutman mbbrutman-cctalk at brutman.com
Wed Aug 30 20:38:52 CDT 2006

Don wrote:
> The meta data is stored *in* the object?  So, it can't tell
> what type of object it has without *open()*-ing it?

OS/400 isn't an OS, it's a way of life. :-)

The classic 'objects' that the operating system uses aren't really in a
filesystem.  It looks vaguely like a file system (a very flat one), but
it isn't.  An object can be examined by paging in the header area and
examining the type bytes embedded at a particular offset.

I don't want to clutter the list ..  to read further search for 'single
level store' and AS/400 and that will give you the idea.

Mike