Byte magazines: 1976 - 1986

maynard at jmg.com maynard at jmg.com
Thu Aug 31 11:19:28 CDT 2006

   Hello,

   I have recently come upon a collection of Byte Magazines from 1976
through to about 1986. It is not complete, that is I do not have every
issue across that time span. But the collection is pretty comprehensive.

   I have a scanner with an auto document feeder. I'd like to scan this
material in and post it online as a collection of jpgs. However, to do
this well would require destroying the bindings of each magazine in order
to get a completely flat scan of each page.

   Questions:

   -  Is it wrong to destroy these magazines in order to scan them
in for posterity?

   - Are they as rare as I think? That is, are there plenty of copies
around such that historians and others interested in classic computing
would not find this project of interest?

   - Is the copyright violation involved (on 25 - 30 year old magazines)
really an issue?

Thanks,
--M