A tree to grow

Thu Aug 31 19:47:50 CDT 2006

> I am seriously considering unsubscribing over this.  Not because of
> [...].  Not because [...].  But because I now have no idea what this
> list is actually supposed to be talking about.

Well, I certainly will not claim to speak for Jay on this point.  But
to the extent I have understood things correctly, the list is now
supposed to be talking about what it always has been talking about.
All that's changing here is the favoured way of approximating that in
short summaries of the list topic.

The 10-year "rule" was one approximation to the list topic.  "Classic"
is another.  Each captures some of it; neither is perfect.  If it
bothers you all that much to be on a list whose topic boundaries are
not absolutely cut-and-dried, well, maybe you will have to leave.  But
I hope you'll be able to see your way clear to tolerating a bit of
fuzziness on that point, for I would really hate to see you go.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca