decompilation as archiving?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Dec 2 19:59:05 CST 2006

On 2 Dec 2006 at 23:16, Tony Duell wrote:

> I would argue software sources are more educational than useful (not that
> education is not a very important 'use' :-)). I like scheamtics of old
> computers for 2 reasons, firstly to learn how they worked, and secondly
> to be able to repair them if something failes. Only the first is really
> applicable to software, software doesn't fail in the same sense that
> hardware can.

If you're reading someone else's software, the stuff that isn't
executable code can really give you a window on the mind of the
author and answer the question "What kind of person wrote this--a
hack, someone trying to show off, or someone who really put a lot of
thought into what s/he was doing?".  And even more importantly, "Did
whoever wrote this actually know what s/he was doing?"

Unfortuantely, you don't get that with decompiled/disassembled code.
It might be possible to infer it, but it's quite a bit more
difficult.

Cheers,
Chuck