PDP11 adventures

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Dec 5 22:52:55 CST 2006

At 10:18 PM -0500 12/5/06, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>On Tuesday 05 December 2006 11:45, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>  At 1:27 AM +1300 12/6/06, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>>  >Viking and CMD controllers were also common, IIRC.
>>
>>  It has been my experience that the Viking controllers were *very*
>>  common and rebadged by at least a couple companies.  All of my main
>>  PDP-11's are using Viking QDT & UDT controllers.
>
>So, do you have any info on making them work?  I've got a pair of them,
>which I got out of 3rd party (embedded) 11/23 systems, but I haven't had
>any luck getting them to talk to drives.  The system can talk to the
>controller (I stuck it into a QBUS VAX and could do a "show uqssp" to
>it), but it didn't seem to see any drives, and the activity lights on
>the drives didn't ever blink (though the LED on the card did blink when
>it should have been talking to the SCSI bus).

Take a look on ftp://ftp.avanthar.com/dan/viking_scsi and you will
find the documentation.  Warning, it really helps to have a bulkhead
panel that allows you to plug in a serial terminal.

The boards can be configured as Disk, Tape, Disk & Tape, or Disk &
PDP-11 boot depending on the PAL's installed.  You need fairly new
firmware for them to work with a CD-ROM drive.  They're pretty picky
about what CD-ROM drives they'll work with, but I've had good luck
with Plextor Caddy drives.

	Zane