Machine Independent Storage Idea...

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Dec 6 10:59:06 CST 2006

On 6 Dec 2006 at 11:16, Roger Merchberger wrote:

> Between 10K and 100K times - IIRC, CompactFlash has virtual sector mapping
> with load-balancing to attempt to reformat the sectors evenly(ish). Dunno
> about the others...

Modern stuff is closer to 300K.  But even at 100K, emulating a floppy
drive gives you about 5.5 hours of continuous rewriting of a single
track.  CF sector remapping obviously can improve this number.

Heck, I can't get nearly that many writes out of a modern 3.5" 1.44MB
diskette! :)

Given the proliferation of CF, I can readily envision a not-distant
future where a technological improvement results in nearly infinite
numbers of write cycles.  I note that Ramtron is now saying that its
FRAM enjoys that distinction.

Cheers,
Chuck