ASR-33 conversion to 220V

Gordon JC Pearce gordon at gjcp.net
Fri Dec 8 02:29:53 CST 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:

> At what level does this not hold true?  For example, I've got a nice
> big router (portable) that draws a full 15 amps at 120v at startup.
> That would be a pretty large transformer.

At no point, for industrial tools.

> Nowadays, however, most portable tools are simply constructed as
> "double insulated".

Yes, but you're not allowed to use those on building sites etc. in the
UK.  You need to have 110v tools.

The biggest transformers I've seen are about 15kVA and come on a small
trolley.  They're about a couple of feet on each side.  They may in fact
be three-phase, but I didn't want to piss off the 20-or-so workmen who
had stuff plugged into the two that were on site by disconnecting it for
a look at the plug.

Gordon