Stiction

Bob Bradlee caveguy at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 8 13:09:27 CST 2006

Stiction is mostly caused by a breakdown in the lubricant.

Over simplified, oil turns to varnish or tar.

I too have had good luck with a wrist twist to get them spinning again.
and there is a very high likeliness that they will bind up again if allowed to stop and cool down.

I have seen several IDE's have had stiction problems after being shut down for the first time after extended 24/7 use.

I have a maxtor that bound up on me, two days ago,  after 6 years of constant 24/7 server use I shut it down for a long over due
upgrade. It cooled off while I moved the system to the my cave to work on it and the drive never spun back up.

I knew I should have backed a few things up before I moved it :(

In the past, I opened up an IDE and spun it up by hand. Once it got running, I got the files off of it I needed.
For fun I left it run open on the workbench bench for close to a week before it died.
I had a lot of people come by to see it, and stared in disbelief as the heads sang across the disk when I did a defrag on it.

later
Bob Bradlee