Stiction

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 8 13:26:41 CST 2006

Marvin Johnston wrote:
 > Has anyone seen stiction on the IDE or later drives?

Yep, on early Connor IDE drives. I don't know if that happened to be a bad
batch (I was testing them a couple of years after manufacture and 2/3 were DOA
due to stiction), or "they were all like that, sir".

I don't recall seeing it on later IDE drives though, or on any SCSI drive
(don't forget that some SCSI drives won't spin up without communication with
the HBA, so can appear dead when power only is applied)

> Something else I've noticed is that if a drive has stiction, that stiction will
> return after the drive sets for a while again. Anyone know what actually causes
> stiction?

my *assumption* is that it's some sort of break-down in either the head
material or the coating on the platters, such that when at rest of any period
of time the heads manage to reattach themselves to the platters.

Unfortunately there seems to be no cure, expect for never powering the drive
down until some other failure finally renders it useless.

cheers

Jules

--
there's a carp in the tub