ISA nics and DOS TCP/IP

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:04:45 CST 2006

On 12/9/06, Jay West <jwest at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I have one of the parallel port to ethernet devices... a Xircom. I wonder if
> anyone ever reverse engineered the user interface to the parallel port for
> it :)

It would be interesting if anyone ever did.  I tried to, about 10
years ago, and ran into a brick wall at Xircom.  At the time, there
were few options for Ethernet for Amiga, the expensive A2065 being one
of a very small number of choices.  I had thought that while the
pocket adapters would never be fast, every Amiga had a parallel
connector and it might be possible to at least put machines on ones
network and worry about speed later.  I was involved in talks with
their technical folks about securing developer-class docs when they
totally shut me down because they "didn't want to enter the Amiga
market".  When pocket adapters came up in the Linux arena shortly
thereafter, I made some comments on a mailing list about how difficult
Xircom was to work with and how I couldn't endorse their products as
such.  That comment stuck around on the 'net for a long time, long
past the time when I was using a Xircom CE3 PCMCIA NIC with Linux.

-ethan