BASF 6114 disk drive

Tore Sinding Bekkedal toresbe at ifi.uio.no
Tue Dec 12 11:53:10 CST 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 20:26 +0100, Christian Corti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have one of those "washing machine" disk drive which uses media with 11
> platters in nearly mint condition (heads are locked, test protocol from
> the manufacturer is included). I think that this is a rebaged CDC or
> Memorex drive. I'd like to use this drive and therefore need any kind of
> manual for the BASF 6114. My idea is to check out the drive and disk packs
> and then let some students build an interface that connects this drive to
> a SCSI bus ;-))

Do you have a picture of it?

http://toresbe.at.ifi.uio.no/nd560-unproc.jpeg featured what ND called
the ND-574, a  CDC 9766 SMD (the interface name seems to me to have been
taken from this drive). My reference cites 19 data surfaces - presumably
11 platters, one of which is only readable from one side, and another of
which is used as servo?

The formatted capacity is cited in this manual as both 225 and 288, I'm
not sure why.

-Tore