HP HP-2117F on ebay

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Wed Dec 13 17:18:57 CST 2006

J Blaser wrote....
>I don't know anything about HP minis, so I don't know what to look for, but
>for those on the list that have HPs and might be interested...
>
> The main unit: item # 320060663740
> The FP unit: item # 320060663048
>
> No bids yet.
And hopefully there won't be... unless you want parts - cause it's got
issues.

I noticed this system on ebay a night or two ago. I was going to post a
warning here to people about it, but just didn't get a roundtuit.

1) The power supply for the cpu has been pulled (ie. is not present). That
doesn't bode well ;)
2) The DCPC card (that's DMA to you and me) appears to be missing and the
cable is dangling. This was standard on the 2117 (1000F aka 21MX/F) I think.
3) There is NO memory, nor a memory controller in the box, they appear to
have been snagged.
4) Either the FEM board has been pulled, or they just used the wrong cable
to connect the FAB to the cpu board. Given that slot 10 is empty and thus
creates a break in the interrupt chain, I'm guessing the former. That means
you're likely missing microcode. Could just be vendor microcode... or your
base instruction set ;)
5) There appears to be something homebrew on the TBG board in slot 11. At
least it's nothing I've ever seen. Given the RPL markings on the front this
tends to make me think of process control. Maybe the cable was to allow some
other device to generate the time based interrupts.
6) Third party board in slot 12. Who knows.
7) 13037 disk interface in slot 13, that matches the front panel markings as
likely boot device.
8) Note the 8 channel mux card is not compatible with TSB. Note also the
non-standard edge card connection. PSI board?
9) 7970 tape controller set, handy to have.
10) Two microcircuit boards. I happen to REALLY like these. If anyone buys
this sytem, I'd be willing to pay for one or two of these cards :)
11) Missing board in slot 22... there goes your interrupts. Who knows, maybe
this system ran something that was only polled.
12) Don't recognize the board in slot 23.

On the plus side, it IS an F series... the FP unit is auctioned separately
and they are calling it a power supply. Nope, it's a floating point unit.
There IS no power supply - and there sure is supposed to be ;)

I am not familiar enough with the F series to know if that FP unit includes
all the necessary boards and/or connectors.

Random thoughts....

Jay