HP HP-2117F on ebay

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Fri Dec 15 10:17:25 CST 2006

Christian wrote...
> Not sure. The Base Set microcode can be either on the CPU board or on the
> FEM.
It is quite possible that the base set is on the cpu board and the rest is
on the fab, making it "complete". But it is also possible that some of the
required F firmware was on a FEM in slot 10. Or it could have been user or
vendor microcode on a FEM in slot 10. Or some I/O card even, as I've seen
systems with no FEM where they used a 3 connector shielded ribbon cable even
though they only had a FAB, just cause it's the only cable they had
apparently. Of course, it is also possible that there is no base set at all
and someone wrote a custom base set for process control. That's the beauty
of the box, everything was changeable including the base set. All I was
saying is that since there is nothing in slot 10, and there IS a dangling
ribbon cable there, it is likely (although not certain) that some firmware
is missing. I think we can agree that is a reasonable postulation. Whether
the FEM being missing means it is not an F is debatable apparently, but I
was under the impression the base set could be on the cpu board and all the
rest on the FAB. No FEM required.

> No, the FEM was standard on both E and F series ([1], section 2-1).
Apparently HP documentation is at odds then. See the HP 1000 M/E/F series
computers technical reference handbook, part number 5955-0282, appendix A,
pages A-3 and A-4. It's quite clear there that the FAB was optional on the E
and standard on the F (and ostensibly standard because it was necessary to
house the larger microcode set).

> BTW the FAB has the lowest priority in the firmware chain, lower than the
> firmware on the CPU board.
Isn't that priority in the sense of pecking order for entry points, not in
the sense of any type of execution priority?

> Maybe, but maybe it's empty and the ROMs were on the FEM.
That is certainly possible, hence my comment.

> I only know what I know, that my machines have their ROMs on the FEM.
Ditto for me... that my machines have their roms on the FAB.

> But anyway, a fully loaded 1000F is a *very* nice machine to play with.
> It's a nice number cruncher.
I've noticed my E's beat the pants off my 2100A/S machines - the specs say
approximately twice as fast. But I still love the front panel appeal of the
2100 over the 21MX any day :) It's easier to enter programs with and it
certainly has more blinkylights :)

Jay