What to do with a VAX KA655 board that is prone to CDAL parity error?

9000 VAX vax9000 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 12:28:38 CST 2006

Well, I thought there might be loosing solder on board. So I baked the KA655
in a oven, slowly turn up the temperature, peaked to 450F till the solder
melt. Then I let it cool down slowly.

This time it failed self test #31. I thought it was beyond my ability to
repair, so I heated the board on stove and picked the big chips off the
board with a pair of chopsticks (it is easy for those chips with heat
sinks). I think many of you do not get a chance to peek the bellies of those
chips, so I post the photo on my website. You can find it here,

http://www.mscpscsi.com/PHOTOS/KA655_chips.jpg

Five square chips other than the 78332 CVAX are belly up.

vax, 9000