Advice for tape drive repair / maintenance

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 15:54:37 CST 2006

> Alexandre Souza wrote:
> >> packs in after a few years. I'll admit that they may well go out and
> >> buy a new one two-four years down the road, but if they keep it, it
> >> has to keep on working. (I'll admit that this generally does not seem
> >> to apply to mobile phones - no idea why not).
> >
> >    The matter with cell phones is that there is always innovation. A TV
> > set is a TV set, there are no news on that. Same to a stereo, what else
> > would you want into a stereo?
>
> See, I'm somewhat atypical there... I want a phone that's good at making phone

You are not alone there. I use a cellphone for making voice calls only.
OK, I may have sent the odd SMS message, but I don't _need_ that
facility. I certainly don't need a colour display, or internet access, or
a camera (all that I have seen make an instamatic's pictures look good!),
and so on.

> calls. I don't want it to do a million other things, most of which I won't
> need *ever*, let alone occasionally. I'd rather that all the time and money
> that had gone into developing that phone had been spent on making it as easy

The phrase 'Jakc of all trades and master of none' springs to mind.