Cylinders versus tracks...

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 22 06:59:35 CST 2006

Out of interest, which is the correct terminology when defining a single point
on a disk's surface - is it better to talk in terms of cylinders, or tracks?

People often seem to talk about floppy drives in terms of tracks, heads and
sectors (e.g. for an 80 cylinder floppy with two sides they'll still talk in
terms of tracks 1-80 in conjunction with a side number, even though the media
has 160 tracks in total)

Talking in terms of cylinders seems to be generally the norm with hard disks
though, and perhaps seems a bit more sensible - but remember that hard disk
manufacturers are the people who introduced decimal megabytes into common use :-)

Personally I prefer to talk in terms of 'surface number' rather than 'head
number', as a given surface could conceivably have more than one head in order
to improve media latency - but I'm unsure as to whether to use
cylinder/surface/sector or track/surface/sector. It's all just semantics, but
for the stuff I'm currently working on I'd rather go with the 'correct'
version even if that happens not to be the one most commonly used...

cheers

Jules