MS DOS overlay programming

Roger Merchberger zmerch-cctalk at 30below.com
Fri Dec 22 09:23:44 CST 2006

Rumor has it that Michael B. Brutman may have mentioned these words:
>Chuck Guzis wrote:

>I don't understand again.  I can write C code that is ugly too.  C++ is C
>with some extra syntactic sugar.

When I refer to C++ bloat, this is actually what I talk about - not the
'bloat' of the final code, that depends on the programmer, not the
language.[1] To me, it's hard enough to keep everything straight (and
readable) in C... and if C++ was *just basic classes* I could prolly wrap
my head around that enough to be comfortable. However, the polymorphism[2]
and operator overloading makes it (IMHO, of course) harder to discern what
others are doing with the code...

Now, I know just enough C to be dangerous, and hadn't touched C++ until a
few weeks ago, as I had to learn enough to tutor 2 college students for one
of their courses... ;-)

Altho now that I understand C++'s constructors & destructors a [very]
little better, I might be able to wrap my brain around Python's OO stuff a
little more easily... But at least OO isn't required there, either.

>>Just an old fogie speaking, so ignore if you wish.

I seriously doubt I'm as old chronologically as you, but as they say:
You're only as old as you feel... so I must be pushin' about 80. ;-)

So I guess I'm an "old fogie Jr." ;-)

Prost, and Frueliche Weinachten!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

[1] well, except PHP, but that's another thread; one that's best left alone...

[2] Now, if you get a "Wand of Polymorph" in Rogue, those are handy
rascals, indeed. ;-)

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | Anarchy doesn't scale well. -- Me
zmerch at 30below.com.         |