Advice for tape drive repair / maintenance

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Dec 22 19:21:00 CST 2006

Well, let's not forget a powerful marketing force--FEATURES, whether
you use them or not.  I certainly know of folks who buy everything
from microwave ovens to mobile phones based on the number of offered
features, whether or not they will ever use them.

Why, for instance does my local telco charge for Caller ID?  It's
certainly not costing them anything to implement.  Why does the same
telco give me MSN premium with my DSL service when all I really want
is an IP address?   Because it's a perceived feature--and they can
charge for it.

My kitchen microwave oven is loaded with features.  I've never used
any of them beyond the basic timed cook.  I suspect a fair percentage
of purchasers would be happy with the "1 minute" and "Popcorn"
buttons.

In both cases, we need a new word, say "faux-tures" for "it doesn't
cost anything to provide this functionality".

A REAL feature in the above-mentioned microwave would be a stainless
steel or PTFE-coated interior instead of the usual miserable Chinese
epoxy paint.  That'll cost ya.

Cheers,
Chuck