Computer Music

Grant Stockly grant at stockly.com
Sun Dec 24 19:36:30 CST 2006

At 04:01 PM 12/24/2006, you wrote:
>On 24 Dec 2006 at 14:27, Grant Stockly wrote:
>
> > I have source code and custom interface cards from ARP's project to create
> > the first consumer computer controlled synth.  The prototype was built out
> > of an Altair 8800.  Never finished, never released.  It was a top secret
> > project within the company
>
>Many (myself included) simply tied a capacitor to the front panel
>interrupt enable LED of the 8800 and fed it to an audio system.   It
>was quite workable.  Later I did an S-100 card with 5 GI sound chips
>on it.

MITS was prototyping the MU-1 music card with 6 square wave channels (no
envelope/volume/pitch/etc).  When Pertec took over they killed the
board.  I have a bare PCB version of this prototype and may bring it back
to life...

http://www.riptiderealtime.com/88mu1.htm

There was a special version of basic for the card with added note/duration
commands.  There was also a version of startrek for the card that ran under
regular basic and had sound effects during the game.

ARP's project would have cost an individual a lot to put together.  A bank
of Pro Soloists...

http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html

Now that system connected to the 4 channel Bose sound system (on loan) must
have sounded amazing, even by today's standards!  : )

Grant