Old Computer Collecting vs Electronics Building

J.C. Wren jcwren at jcwren.com
Thu Feb 2 16:16:09 CST 2006

    I disagree with this quite a bit.  There are plenty of projects out
there people are doing.  I see lots of stuff on hackaday.com,
avrfreaks.com, people in the Microchip forums, homebrew CPUs, etc.
There's no loss of desire at all.  Sure, maybe it's not all built of
TTL, but so what?  TTL is slowly going away (IMHO), in favor of micros,
FPGAs, and PLDs.  To say the interest in building skills is waning just
says to me you're not looking in the right places.

    --jc

On Thursday 02 February 2006 04:12 pm, Marvin Johnston wrote:

 >One thing I've been concerned about for a while is what seems to be
the lack of electronics building skills. *My* feeling is the desire to
work on this stuff is going away and  I'm not sure why. I DO NOT BUY the
argument that components are so small now that nobody can build or hack
equipment anymore as I view that more of an excuse for not building.