HP2648A tape drive capstans

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Feb 5 16:45:01 CST 2006

On 2/5/2006 at 6:59 PM ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk wrote:

>If that's the tape I'm thinking of, it's used in the 9830, and I think
>also the 982. There was an external tape drive for these machines that I
>forget the number of (HP9865???)

No--the DC-300 is a big tape, thinner, but almost the size of a VHS
cassette.  DC-300, DC-600, DC-6150, DC-6250 and several other formats share
the same mechanical layout and size.

I've still got a bunch of the little DC-1000's squirreled away.  The drive
(Iwin) has 3.5" FH form factor.  Are there any other 3.5" DC-xxx drives?

Anyone remember a really silly format brought out about 1993?  Used a 2.5mm
tape in a cart about the size of an audio microcassette.  The mechanism was
a Sony helical-scan setup.  It could run on 4 AA cells and interfaced
through the parallel port.  I was sent one as an evaluation unit and never
could get it to work reliably.  Tapes were expensive--about $15--and
available only via Fedex from the manufacturer.

I normally don't send many eval units back, but when I got wind that the
manufacturer was telling customers that that we "were working on a driver"
for it, I sent the unit back with an angry letter.  One of my customers
bought 50 of the units anyway and, for all I know, they're still sitting in
a warehouse somewhere, unopened and unused.

Cheers,
Chuck