HP2648A tape drive capstans

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:50:21 CST 2006

On 2/7/06, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
> Unreadable as in the media is physically damaged or unreadable as in
> the physical shape is OK but putting it through the drive doesn't
> yield anything useful?

Unreadable as in the common problem with this type of media where the
oxide has been shedded from the tape in a few spots.

I'm not sure how many tapes there are where I know this has happened.
I might have just not bothered looking at the other tapes and assumed
they would all have the same problem.

Maybe I'll look into the 'baking" suggestions and see if that helps
with some of the tapes that have not yet been damaged.