Mounting new hardware in vintage hardware

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Sat Feb 11 21:56:33 CST 2006

On Friday 10 February 2006 08:43 pm, Tony Duell wrote:
> > I have several instances where I wanted to mount a small drive in a large
> > drive bay,  and a bunch of those adapters that I've gotten from different
> > sources.  In some cases they worked out just fine.  In some others,  they
> > were obviously "floppy" adapters and the screw holes were just in the
> > wrong place to work with any HD I had on hand here...
>
> The obvious cure for that involves a set of twist drill bits :-).

Got fractional,  letter,  and number.  But no drill press or serious holding
hardware to do that in.  And enough other bracket assemblies that I didn't
have to worry about it too much...

> [Before soembody does a very silly thing, I am suggesting drilling extra
> holes in the adapter bracket, not the drive...)

One further complication is that the ones for floppies were designed to hold
the drive right flush up against the front panel,  while the ones for HDs
held it much further back,  giving better airflow.  If I *did* drill holes
for the purpose the HD would be much too far forward,  depending on which
case I was sticking it in.

-
M Dakin