BIOS upgrade cards

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Feb 13 16:50:11 CST 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Richard A. Cini wrote:
> This brings up an interesting query. I remember way back when, people sold
> BIOS upgrade cards that provided a BIOS extension so that you could use hard
> drives not originally designed for the computer. What were these boards
> called?

An ability to add an extra ROM chip is handy.
You COULD edit your existing BIOS, and burn a new ROM.
In the 5150, there was room for 48K of ROMs, with 40K being used.  There
were a few aftermarket add-on ROMs.

An extra board with ROM(s) would be handy.

But, if you can manage to boot an OS with the existing hardware, it is
trivial to write a TSR that can augment or supplant part or all of the
ROM(s)