Help with HP 4951B protocol analyzer + 18179A

John Hogerhuis jhoger at
Fri Feb 17 16:12:37 CST 2006

On 2/17/06, Cini, Richard <Richard.Cini at> wrote:
> John:
> I own a 4952+18179, which is very similar. The manual might be available
> from I rented the manual for the 4952A from them
> for
> $25 for one week.
> Answers as follows:
> (a) I believe you can save the data to the tape drive. My version has the
> "02 option" which is a memory board which contains about 700k of RAM and
> 128k of battery-backed NVRAM. Your unit may or may not have that option.
> (b) My unit has a floppy drive, but I recall reading that the tape drive
> uses standard QIC tapes (don't recall the type, DC60 or DC100 I think).
> They
> should be available from various sources including eBay.
> (c) The vertical row of switches on the 18179 enables you to pass through
> or
> isolate various RS232 signals from the analyzer. The horizontal row of 25
> switches and patch cable holes enable you to concoct various wiring
> schemes.
> (d) I believe that you can connect the video to any standard composite
> monitor and it will show whatever is on the internal screen.

My unit has a BNC type connector (think that's what it's called) on it. Most
composite monitors take RCA cables. Should I be able to find the right cable

Thank you!

-- John.

More information about the cctalk mailing list