What fits a machine pin DIP socket?

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Sat Feb 18 17:21:00 CST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 14:09 -0800, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> I'm making an adapter on a small PC board here to fit a 40 pin DIP
> machine-pin socket.  I'm not certain what to use for the pins on the PCB
> that will be inserted into the socket.  Ordinary 0.100 pitch square-pin
> header stock might fit, but I'm concerned about it damaging the socket so
> that a standard 40 pin IC  inserted into the socket may no longer work
> reliably.
>

>From my friend Steve Adolph (he needed to solve the same problem for
Remem http://bitchin100.com/remem_project.htm ):

* you need to use round pins
* there are pin headers that make this easy
* I don't know how to order them, but I have a large quantity of them

I'd be happy to mail a quantity of pin headers that are great for this.
think I have 900 tubes of 10 each of 14 pin headers...lots of them.
Just cover the cost of mailing and add 0.01 $ per pin.

ex.  4$ postage + package, and 10 pin headers of 14 pins each = 5.40

hope that is helpful....Steve