bogus auction for Altair system on eBay

Joe R. rigdonj at cfl.rr.com
Sat Feb 25 17:25:09 CST 2006

At 02:44 PM 2/23/06 -0800, you wrote:
>On 2/23/2006 at 7:33 PM ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
>>What is it with German sellers? It appears that very few of them take
>>Paypal.
>
>I believe it's because bank wire transfers in Germany are almost (if not
>actually) free.  Now, if someone in Germany were to send me a wire
>transfer, it would cost me at least $40 and probably more, as my bank
>thought up new names for fees to attach to the transaction.

  Same here. That's one reason why I refuse to take wire transfers. A lot
of Europeans don't understand that.

>But then, that's about what my bank charges to cash a cashier's check made
>payable by the New York branch of a German bank.

    What??? If it's payable in US dollars and from a US bank then they
shouldn't be charging any fee. (But I sometimes have to argue with the
droid behind the counter in my bank to convince them).  What bank is that?

      Joe