Real Old School Programming (was: Re: Where to buy a Selectric?)

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Sun Jan 1 14:12:33 CST 2006

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> On 1/1/2006 at 1:00 PM Mike Loewen wrote:
>
>> http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/DeadStart6600.jpg
>
> Is that a mock-up reproduction, Mike?  It's been a long time since I've
> seen a 6000 without a CEJ/MEJ switch!  It's kind of hard to believe that
> there would be any left around without one.

    It's the real deal, as far as I know.  I know next to nothing about CDC
systems.  The sign says it's a model 6600, serial number 1.

> Which looks sort of reasonable except for the 224 character record length
> on what's being read.  Do you know what system this was set up to
> deadstart?

    Again, no clue.  I just happened to take some shots of it at a visit to
the Computer History Museum, this summer.  The "CDC 6400/6500/6600
Computer Systems Reference Manual" on bitsavers has a slightly different
picture of the dead start panel on page 6-3, again without the CEJ/MEJ
switch:

http://bitsavers.vt100.net/cdc/6x00/60100000D_6600refMan_Feb67.pdf

     Here are a some more pics:

http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/CDC6600-1.jpg