Beehive terminals

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Mon Jan 2 06:27:48 CST 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 1/1/2006 at 9:52 PM woodelf wrote:
>

>>Well unless you want Pantented - our chip only  Stereo Am a good, radio
>>is still not that hard to build
>>or still find parts for. Then, like now Quality is always money.  I
>>suspect it is distortion using transistors and
>>standard diodes or questionable IC's now days.  <foot in mouth>  With AM
>>radio all loud 80' rock and roll
>>people never noticed the distortion because it made that crap sound
>>louder and more impressive.</mouth in foot>
>>I think the real term is **listener fatigue**.
>

> Could someone point me to harmonic distortion data, transient analysis or
> some good old scope traces to prove that a couple of 6B4's in class A
> push-pull deliver better sound than a pair of MOSFETs can?   I'm not trying
> to start an argument, but am not convinced that vacuum tubes are better
> (having owned my share of tube amplifiers) than semiconductors.

Depends what you mean by "good".  I like my 3xECC83 and 2xEL34 valve
guitar amp, but I *know* that's very distorted.  Lots of things sound
good through it, but I wouldn't want to play my stereo through it (ok,
it's mono anyway).  I do, however, occasionally bounce tracks recorded
digitally through it.

Gordon.