ImageDisk

Mon Jan 2 11:08:10 CST 2006

>> Just my 2p worth, but if you think the algorithms may be patentable
>> it could be worth patenting them before $evil_megacorp does.  [...]
>> It would be better to have one of the "good guys" holding the
>> patents.

> It's essentially 'published' now.  Doesn't that mean a 'prior art'
> defense will work?

Most places, I think so.  But in the USA, there's traditionally been a
one-year grace period between publication and unpatentability.  (I put
it that way because whether it's still so I don't know.)

Of course, whether Dave cares about patents in the USA is another
matter, seeing as how he's in Canada.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca