Speaking of 6502s, was Re: 70's micros still available - was 1802 problems

Tim Shoppa shoppa_classiccmp at trailing-edge.com
Mon Jan 2 19:39:00 CST 2006

"Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason at blazenet.net> wrote:
> Speaking of 6502s,  I happen to have a whole bunch of those,  and some 6510s,
> and 6522s and 6526s,  and perhaps even some 6551 (?) UARTs too.  Anybody have
> anything particularly nifty that these would be good for?  I kinda like Garth
> Wilson's workbench computer,  and definitely don't want to go the route that
> some have gone (found on the web) where multiple floppy drives and writing a
> bloody dos for it and all that sort of thing get involved.  Anybody know of
> some simple monitor-type software that's out there?

How adaptable is the KIM-1 monitor?  IIRC it had both the keypad and
a TTY mode where it would use the UART. I used KIM-1's but never got too
much into poking around everything the monitor could do/did do.

There was also the Apple II monitor with its built-in disassembler
(and miniassembler with the right INTBASIC toolkit ROM, right?) It'll have
a lot of hooks into the Apple II video range but if those are somehow
rip-outable then it might be a start (worse comes to worse, you know that
you can use the PR# and IN# hooks for character in and out). And
also in the toolkit ROM was SWEET-16... Wow, going back a couple
of decades, that was fun back then!

Tim.