yikes. drifting OT.

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Jan 3 01:13:05 CST 2006

At 10:38 PM -0700 1/2/06, woodelf wrote:
>Well I find if you have any electronics skill, build your own as you can save

After this many years, my skills are very questionable, I used to be
an electrician in the Navy before I switched to computers, but I've
basically forgotten everything I knew.

>a bundle or get what you want.
>The amp I built 50% of is on Transformers, 50% for tubes and the
>other 50% is on the small parts, and 50%
>for shipping and handeling world wide.  If  I paid  non DIY prices
>my amp is a $1500 US and Matching Speakers
>$1500 ... for DIY  I guess it was about $300 for the speakers and
>$800 for the amp. Note since you have LP's
>you may need a pre-amp and that is about $600 Us ... $200 for DIY.
>Expect other than tube changes well built
>tube amps have lasted like old computers. The one thing I recomend
>is a regulated power supply, every thing
>else is your budget and your bronze, silver or golden ears.

I'm leaning more and more towards DIY, and have been threatening to
buy a book or two on the subject (I've been thinking about the books
by Morgan Jones, "Valve Amplifiers, 3rd Ed." and "Building Valve
Amplifiers").  Part of it is the potential cost savings, and the
other part is simply the challenge of building my own setup.  I
should have pretty much all the equipment I need, I just need parts.

		Zane