Real Old School Programming (was: Re: Where to buy a Selectric?)

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Thu Jan 5 18:30:39 CST 2006

Rumor has it that Chuck Guzis may have mentioned these words:
>On 12/31/2005 at 2:46 PM Fred Cisin wrote:
>
> >HARUMPH.
> >I slash my zeroes.  Always have; always will.
> >35/40 years ago, I knew a couple of people who slashed their 'Oh's.
> >25 years ago, I inherited books, bookcases, etc. when the last one
> >of them died.  Is there still anybody alive who does it that way?
>
>Maybe there are some anarchists hiding out there.  Slashing zero was
>definitely the IBM way and, AFAIK, the same for all other major
>manufacturers (just check some of the programming language manuals on
>bitsavers).
>
>Slashing "oh" was definitely asking for trouble from the keypunch pool.

Unless you're Canadian. OK, I'm not actually trying to pick on Canadians,
but when I worked for EDS in Auburn Hills, MI back in '89, we had a
printout of jokes circulating from the office from Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
- dot matrix, and all the ohs were shashed and the zeroes were not.

I was already so entrenched by that time (22 years young) that I had
difficulty reading it for the first few seconds, wondering who scattered a
bunch of zeroes thru a sheet of light-bulb jokes. ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | A new truth in advertising slogan
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers | for MicroSoft: "We're not the oxy...