ICL1900

Andy Holt andyh at andyh-rayleigh.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 7 15:45:45 CST 2006

> It's amazing how quickly and completely the ICL stuff vanished, after all
> there were quite a number of them - they were virtually compulsory in
> local government, which is why we had one.

Unfortunately, when we scrapped out two 1905Es to install the Honeywell
Level 66*, all the software tapes were thrown away.
Particularly galling now is that these included source tapes for George (I &
II) and Maximop;
plus Exec tapes (E6RM) with listings also GIN5 and various engineers
assemblers**.
Many of us, however, kept manuals as souvenirs and so the only real regrets
about missing ones there are the Programmers Reference Manual (only a
photocopy, anyhow, but not easy to acquire) and most of the engineering
documents (we had our own engineers ... and even did our own Exec mods - and
even a couple of minor hardware mods).

* oddly enough, it seems even harder to find anything related to GCOS 3 than
the 1900.

** Application programmer thought PLAN was the assembler for the 1900;
   Systems programmers (thought they) knew that the real assembler was GIN5;
   The Engineers and Exec maintainers, however, had about 3 different
mysterious
     (and extremely crude***) assemblers ... one was #NSBL, cannot remeber
the name of the others

*** so crude, in fact, that they used numeric (octal) opcodes rather than
nmemonics - but then
   those were more meaningful to the people who probably knew the microcode
by heart :-)

Andy