Unknown Honeywell tape drive - Help!

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Jan 9 23:01:56 CST 2006

At 10:00 PM +0100 1/9/06, Philipp Hachtmann wrote:
>I can get an old Honeywell type drive. But I know literally nothing
>about it. Not even the model number...!
>
>Here is a link to a few pictures I've received today:
>
>http://hachti.de/honeywell-tape/

I spent time working with several Honeywell DPS-8's and DPS-6's in
the early 90's.  That looks to predate anything I saw at the site
with the DPS-8's, and we had some pretty old equipment.

What I think is interesting is the size, it's a decidedly small tape
drive, on the DPS-8 we only had what I would call "full size" drives
(think old Sci-Fi shows), on the first set of DPS-6's I dealt with,
we had full size drives, as well, and on the last set, we simply had
ones that were about 5U or 6U.  I've *never* seen a 9-Track drive
that size.  It looks like it was intended to be used while sitting
down.

		Zane