cleaning keyboards in the dishwasher

C Fernandez fernande at internet1.net
Tue Jan 10 00:22:10 CST 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> One of the classic freshman chemistry demonstrations is (or was) to immerse
> a piece of aluminum under a pool of mercury, with hot water poured on top.

Our local city high school was closed for about 3 days while a Hazmat
team cleaned up a dropped vile of mercury.  Some kid found it and
brought it to school, then dropped it by accident!  I'm not sure if that
was a massive over reaction, or not.  Is mercury really that much of a
hazzard?

> All of which goes to saying why you shouldn't put aluminum,  magnesium or
> zinc (including galvanized hardware) in your dishwasher with dishwashing
> detergent.

That is consistent with my results with computer hardware.  My pans are
iron, so they don't really get washed in the traditional sense.

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA