Thanks again, Dave!

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Wed Jan 11 15:20:36 CST 2006

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 04:38 pm, Lyle Bickley wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 January 2006 02:33, dave04a at dunfield.com wrote:
> > > I second the thanks!
> > >
> > > To a "hints" list I would add that I had some trouble finding a "good"
> > > floppy controller to use with it.  After going through 3 Pentium and 2
> > > 486 motherboards with no luck, and the floppy controllers on two
> > > different floppy/IDE cards, I finally tried the floppy controller on an
> > > Adaptec 1522 SCSI cards which works like a charm.
> >
> > Most PC FDC's are limited in their ability to access formats not native
> > to the PC - This is not a limitation of the ImageDisk program, it is a
> > limitation of the FDC implemented on most PC's. I've heard from a
> > few people that the Adaptec cards work well. I've had good luck
> > personally with the FDCs on both of the Intel Mainboards that I have, as
> > well as one Aopen board (although all the other Aopen boards I've tried
> > don't fare so well).
>
> Suggestion to all the folks discussing "Windows" and "Floppy Controllers".
> Don't bother.

I would simplify that:

"Window" -- Don't bother		:-)

> Pick up an older PC with a FDC that works with ImageDisk, Teledisk, PUTR,
> etc. - and create a DOS partition and Linux partiton on it's HDD. You'll
> have the best of both worlds.
>
> Include an older SCSI controller (Adaptec or Buslogic will do) - this lets
> one read or write 9-track 800/1600/6250 tapes, TK50Z, 8mm Exabyte, Zip
> Disk, etc. as well.
>
> DOS
> ---
> ImageDisk, Teledisk for floppy image capture/restoration,
> PUTR to handle XXDP/RT/etc. capture/restore
> ST to create/restore using *.tap files
> FLX to create/restore RSTS media
> 22DISK to deal with CP/M-to-DOS Diskette "Interchange"

I just recently discovered that in addition to mtools,  linux also offers
"cpmtools" which work similarly,  I'm told.  I got the package,  but haven't
installed it yet as I haven't decided which of the linux boxes here will be
the one getting a 5.25" drive stuck in it.

> etc.
>
> Linux
> -----
> "dd", etc. to  copy media
>
> Windows doesn't play well with ANY of the software mentioned above...
>
> Cheers,
> Lyle

-
M Dakin