cleaning keyboards in the dishwasher

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Jan 13 01:48:57 CST 2006


On 1/11/2006 at 12:58 PM Bjørn Vermo wrote:

>Back when I studied chemistry, mercury was considered harmful but not very
>dangerous. Then, new biology research proved it to be one of the most  
>hazardous metals because it takse very small amounts of organic mercury  
>compounds to cause permanent damage. I think much of that resarch started

>after the Minemoto disaster in Japan.

Organic mercury I could believe.  There was a story awhile back about a
Dartmouth chemistry professor who managed to spill a few drops of dimethyl
mercury on her latex gloves with tragic results:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

I think you mean "Minamata Bay Disease" which was a tragic episode that
involved methylmercury in fish eaten by residents.  There was also an Iraq
episode back in the 1970's that involved grain treated with methyl mercury
as a fungicide.

>From everything I've read,  inorganic mercury as well as the elemental
metal are far less dangerous.  

Cheers,
Chuck






More information about the cctalk mailing list