hp 6286a supply

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 10:30:19 CST 2006

> >I would be careful shotgunning parts. Firstly that you don't introduce
> >more faults (either by using unsuitable capacitors or mis-connecing
> >them). Secondly that you don't cause problems by changing a capacitor in
> >a timing cirucit and having to re-align things).
>
>    I think both of those would apply without having to state the obvious.

Capacitor marking are notoriously difficult to understand. Heck, I've had
to explain what '4n7' means on this list before now. For reference, it's
4.7nF -- that is 4700pF.

Now for some others. How about 224? That's 22*10^4pF, or 0.22uF. Which
then leads to the notorious 330. Is that 330pF or 33*10^0pF (that is,
33pF). Problem is, I've seen it used for both. The former in older stuff,
the latter in modern stuff. So while a ceramic capacitor in a valve radio
marked 330 is going to be 330pF, and while an SMD part marked 330 is
almost certain to be 33pF, if you find a through-hole disk ceramic on a
1980's board, it could be either.