A little OT: Google

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sun Jan 22 03:52:57 CST 2006

Tony Duell wrote:
>>Fred Cisin wrote:
>>
>>>5150 cassette  (DRIVE is available, interface isn't)
>>
>>Nah, comes on ebay once a week.
>

> Hang on, the format of the 5150 cassette recording is given in the
> TechRef. Now I've not tried this, and I've not got the hardware to do it,
> but surely you could play the tape on a normal audio recorder into a
> modern PC soundcard and analyse the signals in software. A modern PC
> should be easily fast enough

A lot of emulators for 8-bit machines do this.  I can't see it being
difficult to work out for the 5150.

What *is* a cool hack is software that will turn sysex dumps for old
synths that support patch storage on tape *and* sysex into tape tones,
and vice-versa.  Alesis Freeloader springs to mind.

Gordon.