streaky printing?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 12:43:47 CST 2006

> Any fine particles like those are very bad for you if you breath them in. Be
> careful cleaning up toner spills and don't use a normal vacuum.

I guess it's time to re-tell the story of the toner and the toilet....

I was halping a friend fix his laserprinter (Canon SX engine, if it
matters),  and we took the toner cartridge apart for some reason or
other. One part of said cartridge collects the waste toner, and we
decided to empty that out [1].

Undoing a couple of screws released the top of that container, and said
friend decided to dump the contents into the toilet. At this point we
discovered that toner floats on water, and it would not flush away.

FOrtunately one of us though to add some washing-up liguid (or other
detergent), which got the 2 to mix. It also produced the most amazing
black foam which did eventually flush away....

[1] I wonder if the waster toner container being too full could be the
cause of the original problem (streaky printing). Practical experience
has shown that in some small phootcopiers you get streaky printing after
so many thousand pages and you're supposed to replace the drum unit.
Emptying out the waste toner will clear up the problem (and the drum unit
will last at least 4 such emptyings, a significant cost saving...)