RK07 questions - now RK611 questions

Gooijen, Henk henk.gooijen at oce.com
Tue Jan 24 14:58:31 CST 2006

________________________________

Van: cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org namens Tony Duell
Verzonden: di 24-01-2006 01:10
Aan: cctalk at classiccmp.org
Onderwerp: Re: RK07 questions - now RK611 questions

> You are correct, Tony, board swapping tricked me (this time)!

And yet you persist in wanting to do it...

> I think I can forget the RK07 drive for now, and concentrate on the RK611
> controller.  First, I checked the flat cable from the controller M7904 (dri=
> ve
> interface) module to the home-made bulkhead. That flat cable is 100% OK.
> The round cable from the bulkhead to the drive is NOS, and the label is
> 70-12292-25, so I'm sure it is the RK06/RK07 drive cable, not the RL0x cabl=
> e.

Can you open the hood at one end of that cable (it will unclip fairly
easilt, I think you undo the screws on the cable clamp first). An RK07
cable as virtually all the pins wired, an RL cable has a lot unwired.

I have learnt not to assume anything when tracing faults....

And do stick a voltmeter on the +5V line. Bitter experience (again) has
taught me that this is a the cause of a lot of obscure problems. Best to
eliminated it now...

>  =
>
> Before pulling out all kind of equipment, I started with what a DEC enginee=
> probably also would do: run the diagnostics!   So, I loaded XXDP and ran
> ZR6A??.??? which is the test "RK611 diskless controller diagnostic #1".

OK...

> Here is the output.
>  =
>
> .R ZR6A??.???
> ZR6AD0.BIN
> RK611 DISKLESS DIAGNOSTIC: PART 1 CZR6AD0
> @
> ATTEMPTING TO CLEAR CS1 WITH A SUB CLEAR
> BUS ADD  INCORRECT
> TEST     ERROR
> NUM      PC
> 000041   033024
>   PREV     EXPECT   ACTUAL
>   VALUE    VALVE    VALVE
>   013776   000200   100200
>  =
>
> So, there is already a problem with the RK611 controller reported after the=
>
> diagnostic runs some 5 seconds!  A few months ago I scanned a pile of XXDP
> doc, but the ZR6A et al. was not amongst them :-(
> I am not sure I have a spare RK611 controller board set (going to the attic=
> after this e-mail), but can somebody tell me which board is likely to be su=
> spected?

Do you want my help or not? Because I sure am not going to help you to
swap boards.

What I can tell you is how to trace that fault. The diagnostic seems to
be saying that the top bit (bit 15) of CSR1 could not be cleared. So,
let's grab the prints (but not tonight, it's late...) and find CSR 1,
find out what should set and clear bit 15, and see what's going on there.

-tony

This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a "reply" message.
Thank you for your cooperation.