Common items you passed up that turned rare when you wanted them

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Tue Jan 31 16:40:51 CST 2006

In article <m1F43oJ-000IyFC at p850ug1>,
    ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell)  writes:

> The least valuable HP I own is one that I would never give up. An old,
> battered, HP45. The reason is that I built it. I was given a load of junk
> at an HPCC meeting mad there were enough bits to make a 45. The chips on
> the logic board came from 2 or 3 machines, the displays aren't all the
> same sixe (These machines have 3 5-digit display modules in them, HP used
> 2 different character height ones, you're supposed to have all 3 the same
> in a particular machine, obviously), and so on. To a collector it's
> worthless. To me, because I got it going, and because doing that taught
> me a lot about how the classic series HPs work, it's priceless.

If you watch lots of Antique Road Show :-), you'll see that this sort
of thing actually adds provenance value over time, but it will
probably be a while before your HP-45 is valued higher than the
typical collectible :).
             Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty
                <http://pilgrimage.scene.org>