Semi-OT: IDE & SATA to USB "dongles"

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Fri Jun 2 21:40:52 CDT 2006

On Friday 02 June 2006 10:03 pm, Billy Pettit wrote:
> In fact, this discussion has prodded me into doing something I've put off
> for a long time - strip some PCBs I found with 8ns CMOS static RAMs, 128Kx8.
> They are surface mount and the small geometries are a real challenge for my
> twisted fingers and bifocal eyes. But I have a project that needs fast
> memory and the weekend is free.)

I haven't yet tried to salvage any surface-mount chips,  yet,  though I do
have a board here with a few transistors that are tempting me.

8 ns?!  That's _fast_.  What if you don't mind my asking are you doing that
needs those kinds of speeds?  I'm used to thinking of access times in numbers
that are three digits long.  :-)   Some cache I snagged out of a defunct 486
board is about the fastest I've managed to salvage yet,  and it oughta really
do just fine with a z80 or something,  no wait states there!

-
M Dakin