SBC6120 (a build-it-yourself PDP-8 clone) Last Buy and End of

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Jun 4 17:08:26 CDT 2006

On 6/4/2006 at 10:07 PM ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk wrote:

>A friend of mine who should understand this has told me it's OK to solder
>modern, lead-free components with leaded solder (and to solder them onto
>old boards with lead 'tinning'), but not to use lead-free solder on
>leaded parts. So I should be able to buy, say, modern lead-free resistors
>and solder them with leaded solder into my PDP11s.

That's true--leaded solder will contaminate lead-free and cause it to
weaken considerably.

But then, that's the case of lead in combination with any other
soldering/brazing material in general.  When I silver solder (well,
actually silver-braze)  old botched repairs in brass that were done with
tin-lead solder, I have to remove every last bit of the leaded solder
before I can braze.  Otherwise, the lead will make the silver (56% silver,
the remainder copper) braze very brittle and it will fail in no time at
all.

Cheers,
Chuck