Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 12:45:50 CDT 2006

Evan Koblentz wrote:
> Of course, if someone points me to an automated blog-to-email conversion
> technology that is SO simple and takes no time at all, then I'll just do it
> without any premiums.  Or maybe someone can write a cross-platform feed
> reader for vintage computers.  :)

You need someone with a few PHP (or C, or whatever) skills I would have
thought, and to be using some sort of CMS for the website (or at least have
timestamped blog entries as plain-text in a database, which presumably any
half-decent blog software does anyway).

Homebrew some PHP (or whatever) code to pull any blog entries for a certain
date range out of the database and concatenate them. You probably want to do
something sensible with any images (or other non-text content) at that point
too, like replace URLs with: [IMAGE http://blah/blah/blah.jpg] so that
mailing-list subscribers can still access the non-text content via a web
browser if they so wanted.

The PHP/whatever code just submits the concatenated text to the mailing list
in the same way as you've done in the past for newsletter submissions (e.g.
using PHP's built-in SMTP abilities if needs be).

Set up a cron job on the server to run the code once a day in order to send
out a plain-text digest of that day's blog entries to mailing list subscribers.

I doubt it's a lot of work at all for someone with a bit of free time -
providing that you still have the mailing list software in place, and
providing that you're using an openly-documented CMS/blog software that gives
you the database format.

cheers

Jules