SBC6120 (a build-it-yourself PDP-8 clone) grammer checked

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 10 16:40:56 CDT 2006

> A decent workbench with power and storage I number one in my book.
> Lighting for it number two.  Third is a good soldering iron.  Around
> number 7 is a 'scope after a decent pair of VOM and DVM and simple
> logic probe.  Number 6 is a quality set of handtools (cutters, needlenose,
> screwdrivers and the like).  If I were to think on it I'd certainly put
> other tools and equipment before a scope.

For electronic test instruments (not including hand tools, etc), my order
would be something like

1) A good VOM (analogue) or DMM, whichever type you prefer.

2) A logic probe

3) A bench power supply (at least 5A output)

4) The other of the VOM/DMM pair

5) A 'scope or logic analyser, depending on what sort of work you're doing

6) The other one of those instruments

7) Strange stuff that you get because you see it at a cheap price and it
looks interesting (curve tracers, valve testers, LCR bridge, etc)

> >PS. I notice most TTL projects are wire wrapped that I have seen on the
> >web rather than having a PCB made.
> >

> Obvious reason. Rework in the form of circuit corrections are easily
> done with wirewrap and can be costly and time consuming with PCB.

I find it helps when prototyping to be able to build one bit of the
circuit, check it works properly, then add a bit more, and so on. This is
easy with wire wrap, harder on a PCB.