Vintage computer diagrams scanning

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Jun 11 23:23:26 CDT 2006

On 6/12/2006 at 12:10 AM Teo Zenios wrote:

>For any real work I use an older Umax 1200s SCSI scanner connected to my
>Quadra 950 Mac, I would use it on my Athlon PC but the original driver
>disks only cover Mac OS 8-9 and Win 9x. You have to pay $50 or so to get
drivers
>for the scanner to work under Win2k (Silverfast) and I am not paying $50
>for old software drivers.

I used to use an old Artec SCSI flatbed scanner--it worked really well and
then just went belly up--the PCB was pure impermeability--lots of surface
mount ASICs with house numbers.  I recognized some glue and an OTP 27C512,
but that was it.   Ah, well--it was good, but not spectacular.  I picked up
a used HP SCSI Scanjet with document feeder for about $25 on e-Pay.  Works
great, drivers for Win2K and XP are still available for downloading.

I've even used the document feeder a couple of times; by and large it was
okay.  But SCSI is defintely the way to go with scanners.

Cheers,
Chuck