OT-ish: Build-it stuff / elektor

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 12 16:45:57 CDT 2006

> > Whether it is the chicken or the egg, they also have access to better
> > parts stores (for hobbiest quantities) and excellent magazines.  The Dutch
> > magazine Electuur is translated into English and published in the UK
> > every month as Elector.  It has excellent construction articles, readily
> > available firmware, and even the PCB layout for most of the projects.
>
> Elector is indeed recommended.
> AFAIK it also  published the first DIY computer : in May '74 they
> started a series on a 12 or 16 bit TTL-based computer. That is two
> months before the Mark-8.

FWIW, in 1972 the UK magazine 'Practical Electronics' published a design
(going over 10 issuses, I have the whole set) for a TTL-based 4-function
desktop calcualtor. Not a computer, sure, but a lot of the principles
were there.

> Those who like to see something special should check it out : it is a
> two-address machine, no instructions, but memory-mapped "functional
> units". It even had hardware based multiply and divide !

I'd love to see that, but my Elektor collections starts at about the time
of the first Elekturscope (and I don't have a complete run since then, alas)